While addiction treatment programs share certain universal elements, different approaches cater to specific populations. Men’s addiction treatment programs speak to trends, behavior, and coping styles that have come to characterize how many men process thoughts and emotions. Through its men’s addiction treatment program in Georgia, Peachtree Recovery Solutions specializes in therapies specific to men working toward recovery.
Reasons for a Men’s Rehab Program
To find an outpatient addiction treatment program that meets your needs, it’s important to consider any shared qualities of its members– similar experiences or processing styles build camaraderie and support. Knowing each person is unique, a men’s rehab program can address certain commonalities and statistics:
- Men are more prone to addiction than women
- Men tend to abuse more than one drug at a time
- Addiction-related struggles kill more men than women
- Addicted men develop clearer cases of personality disorders than women
- Societal pressure to ‘go it alone’ plagues men more than women
The latter notion of going it alone speaks to a key difference between how men and women may process addiction struggles. By and large, our mainstream culture expects men to be tough, self-sufficient, and capable of handling things independently—more stoic; less emotional. When strong feelings and struggles arise, men are less prone to reach out for help or allow themselves to be vulnerable.
As such, the pressure can build. Not used to asking for input or support, a man struggling with addiction often internalizes his trauma.
How A Men’s Addiction Treatment Center Can Help
Considering male-specific tendencies, an effective men’s rehab program features therapists who understand how men navigate the addiction and recovery process. These therapists understand the relational challenges that can occur and help male clients develop new ways of handling and expressing themselves.
In a men’s addiction treatment program, therapists address a myriad of issues:
- They help men build more trusting relationships in both the clinical and personal setting–When asked to share thoughts and feelings, men may grow suspicious of therapists or others in a group therapy setting. Shying away from authenticity or unable to relinquish control, they may appear hardened or apathetic. By learning to tolerate vulnerability and practicing more honest, open communication, men develop a new level of interpersonal skills.
- Therapists build camaraderie versus competition–In addiction rehab, men may feel competitive or threatened by other clients. Harnessing men’s natural tendency to gather (and likely, to gather to abuse drugs or alcohol), a men’s addiction therapist works to foster camaraderie within the recovery setting. Positive support from other male addicts affects strong results regarding men’s recovery.
- Therapists recognize how gender-specific environments help processing–Research has shown that mixed-gender environments can impede progress toward recovery in terms of how each gender may react to sharing or giving feedback. Men may feel less willing to be truthful or vulnerable with women present, curtailing key conversations and sharing that accompany the recovery process.
Types of Addiction Treatment Programs
While considering male-specific tendencies and relational styles, Peachtree Recovery Solution’s men’s rehab program in Georgia employs tried-and-true methodologies to help its male clientele work toward recovery. A range of addiction therapy programs are available, including but not limited to:
- Anger management
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Adventure/Experiential therapy
- Holistic therapy
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
Men’s Rehab Programs at Peachtree Recovery Solutions
At Peachtree Recovery Solutions, our men’s addiction treatment programs in Georgia emphasize community, quality of relationships, and peer support, all of which build more adaptive ways of interacting in the world. Surrounding one’s self with like-minded people can help in any healing process. In recovery, a male-specific environment helps many men better overcome addiction. Call Peachtree Recovery Solutions at 866.863.1129 to learn more.